Saturday, July 16, 2011

The perfect shave

The best time to blog is when you're down and out with a fever!

I've a bit more than the usual boyhood fascination of knives. And I've found the ultimate non homicidal out let for it! Shaving.



In school days, rather than the usual reading a comic behind school books whilst studying I'd be whittling pencils with a pocketknife, resulting in a bin full of little wooden chips and a shouting from my brother who'd be studying on the other side of the room.

Then I practiced thowing those pencils through a few sheets of a book working my way up to getting through a single gatta cover. All the while lost in day dreams of 007 fantasies :)

Well, I still have my sharpening skills - this was whittled from a new pencil in about a minute using an old partly dull thai bought flip knife



And throwing skills - 12 feet aiming for the Mercedes logo


Now, the real challenge is closer home, and its called shaving. I hate the user friendly multi-blade razors. Where's the art in it? Where's the finesse?

And so began my quest to find a straight razor, which, in Delhi, is surprisingly hard. I found this:



Which is similar to the DOVO shavettes, except the blades are smaller and well, its a bitch to use.

But you've got to keep at it. Try repeatedly and slowly. Cut your face again and again till the one shave (around no 7 for me) you manage the shave without a nick. Oh what a glorious feeling! And then you feel oh so happy about not giving up midway, because the end result is therapeutic.

Whats the key again? Try honestly and try hard, because nothing this good comes easy! At the very least give it a... *ahem* the first will never go well.... say 5 shots?

I must mention that I had asked a number of barbers where I could buy one and right until the last guy, they all said "I don't know", despite using these blades to shape fringes of hair around the ears. Also, they all (including the last one) told me not to try shaving on my own because its very dangerous with these little razors.

But baby I stuck to it and I'm-a happy!

And the actual process of the shave is an experience to be savored. For those few minutes, there is nothing else on your mind. And there better not be because you're holding a bloody sharp knife to your throat. Be sure to watch the right side of your face and your jawline and mustache, they take a lot of patient work.

But that's all there is to it. Some honest effort and work, and you wont regret it a bit! So come on, don't be a wuss and give it a shot!

Next step is to get a proper straight razor and strop, I've heard they're much easier to use and give a much better shave.



p.s. further reading:

1) 5 guys who died shaving (hence the need to focus, but really, its not all because of the blade)
2) THE guide for straight razor shaving online

15 comments:

  1. Hi. This is my first visit. I came here accidentally and was going to leave but you seem really into shaving. Well-researched and sweet. Please write more often. And get well soon!! Fevers can be depressing but it seems to suit you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude where did you manage to find one of those in Delhi?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The shavette style desi shaver? In Munirka, there's a little shop opposite Dr Kharb's veterinary clinic (you can google where exactly the clinic is)! He's filled with hugely discounted goodies (all the good saloons nearby buy from him)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed. This is beautiful. So many of my male friends rave about getting a shave like this on the streets of Hanoi. Ah, to be a man....
    I kid. Love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Danke!

    It's so much fun, working at it and improving. I've started loving the ritual and asking peeps coming from the States to get me a good blade!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey man,

    I've just "discovered" wetshaving and am really enjoying it. Thanks for the post. Just wondering if you know in New Delhi or in punjab any place that sells a good straight razor (not a shavette). My sis said she couldn't find a place.

    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks again.
    CB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi CB, straight razors seem to be impossible to come by here. I finally bought mine a year back from the States. Along with a honing stone (Norton combination waterstone 4000/8000) a leather strop, a nice shaving soap, shaving mug, silver tip badger hair brush... the works. A decent set is pretty expensive abroad (300-500 usd) but will probably run up much much more in India. Do you have any way to get it imported?

      Delete
  7. Hey man,

    I've just "discovered" wetshaving and am really enjoying it. Thanks for the post. Just wondering if you know in New Delhi or in punjab any place that sells a good straight razor (not a shavette). My sis said she couldn't find a place.

    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks again.
    CB

    ReplyDelete

  8. Interesting post. I have been wondering
    about this issue,so thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. YO!

    Smitten by that shave scene in Skyfall.
    going to get into pleasure shaving.
    Thanks for that Munirka address. Planning to go tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic! Make sure you get a good shaving soap and badger hair brush to go with. The synthetic shit is awful!

      Delete
  10. I have been to the address mentioned in munirka I found nothing, no barber shop to buy!!! Please give me exact details..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome. Going to munirka.

    ReplyDelete