Wednesday, September 8, 2010

First blog - utterly boring alert - Samsung Galaxy S

Utterly boring I say, because 'people' i know would disapprove of such a mass-appeal/connect-less topic.
4-5 weeks on the Samsung galaxy s -

The good
1) Insane screen, makes me forget all the shortcomings! Gorgeous colors, How could people have called it over saturated?

2) Fast and responsive (usually), installing an app killer is a life saver

3) Google contact integration made it easy to switch from the iPhone (moving my huge book of mostly unknown contacts over quickly and wirelessly)

4) Decent speaker phone for talking, this is compared with the iPhone 2 & 3G

5) Very nice camera (daytime only)

6) Seemingly unlimited application screens.. ive hit 13

7) Quick setup on the pc with Kies. I dont like the software too much, but its functional and allows you to backup everything. Samsung could improve the experience though.

8) Light

9) Loving swype, takes a little getting used to, has frustrating moments, but definitely the right direction for touch screen typing

10) Very well integrated with other google features as well... gmail, chat etc.

The bad

1) Terrible terrible sms limit issue. My sim had sms's on it from an ancient sagem i used a decade ago. apparently because of that this kept prompting me to put sms limits, and the one time i accidentally hit ok, it wiped out all my sms's without warning. tsk.

2) No flash! sammy, what were you thinking? They should offer to take back the phones and solder flashes onto them. How absurd to leave this out. Sammy, please, dont go the evil Apple way!

3) Ridiculous rip of the iphone interface. I would really like something new, heard HTC did wonders with their interface. Hell give me a stock android over this terrible Iphone rip

4) Speaker sounds terrible playing back recorded vids. Terrible i say

5) Apps. too many are designed for phones with a trackball, and too many for phones with a smaller screen. Considering the sales figures for this phone, I think devs need to get more galaxy s specific. (not a Samsung problem per se)

6) Proximity sensor issues, have occasionally dropped or put calls on hold with my cheek. Shouldn't happen. No miss, not once.

7) Battery. Achilles heel. Thought the gorgeous Amoled would give me hours extra (if one believed the reviews around the net)

8) Where in the world is Froyo? Heh, that reminds of Carmen Sandiego. I need to find a copy of that game, great fun. Of topic, sorry, Froyo. Soon. Give. Because then it'll be time for Gingerbread.

9) Extremely odd issues with mail sync. Not gmail, pop mail. In the beginning i got mail from my 2 pop servers easy and without issues. Lately, it just doesnt sync. and then arbitarily, much later, pulls in the missing mails. Trains left the station buddy, you're late! A real pain!

10) Back cover too flimsy. But hey, it can either be light and feel flimsy or heavy and metallic. I get that.

11) Serious problems with my bluetooth handsfree. Dont know if its the phone or the BlueAnt. I suspect BlueAnt. Really seems like a shitty handsfree. Shouldn't have switched over from Jabra, but their excellent earpieces break far too easily. Thats when i started using the speaker phone and was pleasantly surprised, was used to the crappy iPhone 1sts gen speaker.

12) Grease magnet alert.

Im hoping Froyo solves many software glitch issues.

If you want a nice high end phone, buy it. Its fun, new, sexy, fast and Android. And dont worry too much if something as much better than this as this is over the older 'super phones' comes along 20 mins after you buy it and makes you want to shoot yourself! If you can wait, let Samsung integrate the new processors they launched and a flash into it.

I wrote this for peeps randomly googling to find out whether this is worth their money, ask questions sires, and answered they shall be.

Will post my own Galaxy vs Iphone once my brother gets his iphone to India :)

No comments:

Post a Comment